Hone your skills & help your community!
It’s time to dust off that favorite monologue you’ve been clambering to perform, and blend it with your newfound, expert-level self-tape & Zoom skills! We’re excited to announce that the 10th edition of our “Meals for Monologues” open-casting-call-slash-food-drive will take place VIRTUALLY on Monday, November 23rd.
If, like many, you’re adjusting your plans this holiday season—and foregoing travel—why not carve out some time to hone your acting skills, while helping the community?
In exchange for a screenshot of your donation of $5 or more to the Oregon Food Bank, actors are invited to submit a self-taped monologue of two minutes or less–OR sign up for a limited number of Zoom appointments between 10AM – 2PM on Nov. 23rd.
Self-tape submissions must be received by Monday, November 23rd to guarantee viewing by our casting directors.
See instructions below for both self-tape submitting, as well as scheduling a Zoom appointment.
If finances are a hardship, email us, and we’ll find someone for you to “hitch a ride with”. (Interested in sponsoring someone who could “use a lift”? Please let us know!)
Spread the word!
- Self-taped monologue must be no longer than TWO MINUTES.
- Smartphone videos are fine, but place phone or video camera on a solid surface or tripod.
- Be sure you are framed in LANDSCAPE (horizontal) mode, in a CLOSE-UP (head and shoulders), with good LIGHTING and SOUND.
- A neutral backdrop is recommended. Try to keep background noise to a minimum.
- Typically, you would direct your lines to the side of camera, not directly into the lens (it helps to use a real human off-camera, if possible).
- Upload your video to Vimeo. You will be sending us the direct link to your video on Vimeo only, not the actual file. Emails containing video attachments will be deleted.
- You may password-protect your video, but be sure to send us the password with your submission.
IN-PERSON ZOOM APPOINTMENTS
- From our Facebook page, click on the General Auditions tab. You’ll need to access the tab from a desktop computer, as it will not show up on mobile devices.
- Look for and click the dropdown arrow next to the “MORE” tab, and scroll down to “GENERAL AUDITIONS”.
- You’ll see a page with our Setmore calendar integrated. From there, you can click on “MEALS FOR MONOLOGUES”.
- The Setmore calendar will take you directly to the audition date with available appointments. They are all 5 minute slots.
- Once your appointment is scheduled, you’ll receive a confirmation email from Setmore.
- Use this Setmore email to cancel or reschedule your appointment, if needed.
- You’ll receive a separate email from us with a ZOOM LINK!
- Go to the Oregon Food Bank website to make your donation ($5 or more suggested).
- Please list “Meals for Monologues” in the Leave a comment text box on the OFB donation form.
- Get a screenshot or PDF of your donation receipt to include with your submission.
- Write us an email with your name, contact information, and HOME BASE (i.e. Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, etc.). Note: If you are a member of SAG-AFTRA, your home base is the local you are listed with.
- You may include one headshot and resume (or a link to an online casting profile) with your submission.
- Include the direct link (URL) to your video on Vimeo (and password, if applicable).
- Include your proof of donation (screenshot or PDF, per the above).
- Email your submission to talent[@]castironstudios[.]com, subject heading: M4M – your home base. For example: M4M – Seattle. (Remove brackets in the email address before sending.)
- Deadline for self-tape submissions is Monday, November 23rd, end of day. We cannot guarantee your video will be reviewed if received after the deadline.
- Go for a contemporary monologue, please. We just don’t cast that much Shakespeare.
- Comedic pieces are always appreciated. We could all use a good laugh these days!
- We’ll also accept songs, poems, jokes—anything uplifting and fun. But if you’ve never—or rarely—auditioned for us, we suggest you prepare a contemporary monologue close to your type, so we can check out your mad skillz.
- If you audition for us often—or if you just want to spread joy and not take things too seriously—anything uplifting is game. We love to be entertained!
- Kids can do whatever they want. School play or musical canceled? Perform a short piece from that, if you like!
- Don’t forget to include your proof of donation with your submission.
In the meantime, please stay safe, wash your hands and shine your creativity as bright as your holiday lights. If you have a few minutes to give back, consider helping out a fellow actor by coaching them via Zoom, WeAudition, FaceTime, or your platform of choice.
It is artists who are keeping us all inspired through these challenging times. We look forward to getting to know your work, or discovering a new side of you!