NO TIME TO WASTE! SENATE AND HOUSE TO VOTE THIS WEEK!!
Here’s an update from Michael Fine of the Portland Mayor’s Office of Film & Video:
Please contact your legislators and tell them you need the work and their yes vote will provide quick, family wage, green jobs. Remind them:
- No money is given out until AFTER receipts are submitted proving money was already spent in Oregon, so tax revenue returns to the state coffers equal to or in excess of the money spent on the program (based on ECONorthwest studies)
- We currently only have enough money each year to bring in projects for approximately 6 months, so for the last 6 months of each year, productions take their money and jobs to other states or countries, where the programs are better funded
- We are not funding Hollywood moguls: 6 of the 18 “OPIF” projects were in fact, Oregon based productions. Of the other 12 projects, 10 were independently financed
I also received a version of this bulletin from the OMPA and felt it was worth sharing. If you live in Oregon, please do your part!
Don’t think too hard on this, just do it. We really don’t want to wake up next month and find out that SB 621 didn’t pass. This is a simple, and incredibly effective way for you to help:
1. Open this flyer.
2. Print it.
3. Hand it to someone else.
4. Then open this link.
5. and enter your address to find your Oregon State Senator and State Representative (psst: not your Federal Senator or Rep; your State one.)
6. Open two emails, subject line “Support 621,” and address one to your Senator and one to your Rep.
7. Copy this email text (don’t slow down now, you’re on a roll and you’re almost done):
I am a constituent, as well as a member of the Oregon film and video community, and I strongly support both SB 863 and SB 621.
The Legislature should be commended for passing SB 863, however, it represents only a reallocation of existing funds. SB 621 is the economic impact bill that will immediately bring high-wage jobs to Oregon at a time when we really need them.
Film and video is a green industry that impacts businesses all across the state, including hotels, restaurants, payroll companies, car rental companies, hardware stores and antique shops, not to mention local cast and crew. It raises the profile of our state and brings much needed tourism dollars into our coffers.
Production companies are clamoring to come shoot in Oregon, but they will not do so without a strong incentive program. The Oregon Production Investment Fund has already proven its ability to turn one dollar into four; a return unheard of in the current climate.
Our industry is indeed the only bright spot in an otherwise bleak economy, however the Film Office finds itself in a position of having to turn major productions away half way through the year, because current levels are not high enough to meet the demand.
With SB 621, we will come closer to being able to fund year-round production, laying the foundation for the growth of this clean industry, and providing good-paying jobs for Oregonians across the state.
I am asking you to please support SB 621 and encourage your peers to do the same.
8. Edit it to make it sound like you. (And include your legislator’s name after “Dear” of course.)
9. Sign your name.
Please spread the word! This bill will be voted on in just a few days. There’s literally no time to waste.