Regionally Speaking

Popping in after a long hiatus from blogging and from a bona fide one-week vacation! Yes, folks, we actually closed the office between Christmas and New Year’s for the first time in the seven years since I started the company. I didn’t answer emails, didn’t check voicemail, nada!

OK, well I actually did work, in the sense that I organized my office, shopped for supplies, emptied out my file cabinets of everything that was no longer needed, wrote up a professional development plan for my staff, paid bills and taxes, tweaked a few things on the website, sent out thank-you notes, wrote an article, monitored my online class (no longer available; see our Workshops page for current offerings), met with advisors and did some strategic planning for 2007.

BUT…the beautiful thing was that I did it without my phones ringing off the hook, without getting bombarded with emails and IMs every two seconds, without a gazillion interruptions that make it impossible to complete a task or fully concentrate on something. Ahhh, it was divine!

We’re going to hit the ground running tomorrow, when everyone else comes back from the holiday and wants to get casting underway. But I’m relishing my last few hours of calm and quiet.

It was kind of fun doing some writing this week, too. For a while now, I’ve thinking about getting back to writing and teaching again, so it was very timely that the lovely Bonnie Gillespie of Casting Qs and The Actors Voice, whom I’ve corresponded with over the years, was sweet enough to think of me for her January POV article for Showfax.com. I decided to write about working in the industry outside of LA and NYC, a topic close to my heart. Thanks, Bon! That was fun.

It’s also been a kick working with this month’s students in my business of acting course (no longer available; see our Workshops page for current offerings). One of the students is a clown who has been in the industry for over 20 years! It’s great to hear her perspective on the acting business.

2007 is going to be a landmark year; I can feel it. Even though 2006 was insanely busy, we managed to assemble a great team and put all the other pieces in place for things to run like clockwork. Which means we can now focus on new ideas and goals. Yippee!

I hope it’s a landmark year for all of you, too! Happy 2007!

6 Responses to Regionally Speaking

1. bon says:

Landmark year, indeed, dear Lana! I can feel it too! Just an electric, exciting time already!!

Thank you for such an AWESOME column! I was thrilled that you agreed to do it and hope you’ll participate again.

I am jealous of all of the work you got done during your “casting down-time” last week. I need that sort of quality time without distractions to get my office in order! Ah… maybe someday soon. 😉

Meanwhile, like you, I’m gearing up for tomorrow’s return to casting madness. We saw 250 actors in the two days before the town closed down for the holidays and I just know agents and managers will be hitting the phones tomorrow with follow-up calls. And offer letters go out to a few more name actors. Ah… I love it!

Thanks again for being so very cool! Here’s to a blissful 2007 for us all!

Cheers,
    -Bon.

2. Trish Egan & Harold Phillips says:

Hey Lana

Great column on Shadowfax! I couldn’t agree more about the benefits of working in a small market like Portland… and there’s no doubt that you and your crew over at the office help to make this town the wonderful place to work that it is.

Now I just have to work on being one of those “strong actors” you kept mentioning 🙂

Glad that you guys got some time off. After the rollercoaster you’ve had this past year, I think you’ve all earned it. Hope I get to see a lot more of you this year!

3. Trish Egan & Harold Phillips says:

Hey Lana

4. Anonymous says:

Lana, it’s so wonderful to think of you and your great team getting a tiny break. We “talent” often forget to thank you for keeping things busy and running more efficiently than ever! You keep it all so together on the surface that unless we’ve seen behind the scenes, we are all unaware of the tremendous effort that goes into that placid exterior. We’re grateful for your talent, skills, amazing patience and for shepherding Portland into a thriving market. Many thanks are due to you, Lori, Erin, and all the other lovely ladies. Happy New Year, and hope you can keep up with the rewards of all your work….more work! Trish

5. J. Emerson McGowan says:

Hi Lana, I just read your POV on Bonnie G’s column. The Quality of Life…. oh yeah!!! I have my garden, can play my marimba late into the night and work on getting the auditions and of course … the BOOKINGS.

Anyway, no waxing poetic here I just want to say it is good to blog you on occasion and hear what’s doing in the great NorthWest. Sounds like you have it cornered. As for diversity, tell them I am here!!! And btw, your pic on POV…. very chic, very.

Gotta run, got new headshots and postcards and am doing what I can to stay in the game. Be Well, Happy New Year and blog to you later.
    J. Emerson McG

Hi Bon!!

6. Lana says:

Hey Bonnie! Thanks for peeking in. I’m glad you liked the column. Happy New Year to you!

Hi Harold and Trish! You guys are too sweet. Thank you for the kind words. I feel all warm and fuzzy now. 😉

Nice to see you, J. Emerson! Glad you’re staying in the game AND playing your marimba. How cool is that? 😀 Keep it up!