Last Gus Van Sant Casting Call for Skaters & Teens

Last Chance for Regional Skateboarders and Teens to try out for Gus Van Sant’s “Paranoid Park” on August 15

Filmmaker Hopes to Find Fresh Talent for Lead and Supporting Roles in New Independent Film

Portland, Ore. – August 15, 2006 – Today, the final open casting call for filmmaker Gus Van Sant’s upcoming independent film “Paranoid Park” will take place from 2 p.m. – 7 p.m. at the Ambridge Event Center (300 NE Multnomah St, Portland, Ore., 97232), announced Portland’s Lana Veenker Casting.

According to casting director Lana Veenker, the locally-based filmmaker is on the lookout for fresh talent for the film’s lead and supporting roles. “None of the roles have been filled as of yet,” says Veenker. “Any kid walking in off the street has a shot at getting cast.”

“Paranoid Park,” based on the novel by Blake Nelson, is the story of a teenage skateboarder who accidentally kills a security guard and has to figure out what to do when police start to investigate.

The August 15 casting call is open to skateboarders age 14-30 and students age 14-18 to fill nearly twenty roles for both males and females. Filming is set to begin in October of 2006 in Portland.

For up-to-the-minute information, interested parties may call the Paranoid Park Hotline at 503.222.2462 or visit

7 Responses to Last Gus Van Sant Casting Call for Skaters & Teens

1. Anonymous says:

Um… I was wondering…How do you choose someone to call back from a picture and a list of some skills? What do you think of the teens so far? also does the lead have to be able to do a lot of skateboarding tricks? cause i just rated myself as 1 cause i wasnt sure what you guys see i skateboard and longboard and just ride. but whatevs. have fun casting. im looking forward to seeing how the movie turns out.

2. Brian says:

Hi Lana,

Love your blog. As a teacher of drama (at an international high school for expat children in Japan) I’m always on the lookout for age-appropriate monologues, activities, etc. Given your experience expertise with teen and young adult actors, I wondered whether you might have have any hidden-gem references to recommend? Thanks in advance; glad the Paranoid auditions went so well!

3. Lana says:

Hi Anonymous,

It’s kind of hard to explain, but some people stand out for one reason or another–an attitude, a style, a particular personality. Not all of the roles require skating ability, although for some of the roles, it’s a plus. Good luck!

4. Lana says:

Hi Brian!

I’ll put my thinking cap on. Congrats on your new job! Maybe I’ll just have to fly out there and teach a class or two. 😉

BiBS back atcha!

5. Anonymous says:

Hi Lana,
    At the risk of sounding like a stage mother (which I am not) I was wondering if there have been any roles given for Paranoid Park. My son (Joe Clark) auditioned and read for Gus Van Zant. Joe is suspending is Job search while waiting to hear if he gets a role. Of course I will be so very happy for him if does get a role(acting is his talent and passion). However, he also really needs to get a job! So…if you could enlighten us as to when or if he should be hearing something, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks so much,

6. Lana says:

Hi Fawn,

We’re getting close. Gus has an idea of his favorites, but no one has been officially booked yet.

I would tell anyone who auditioned NOT to put his or her life on hold while waiting for news. Things are sooooo tenuous in the film industry: We could plan for an October shoot, and then it could get pushed to January or even later, due to circumstances beyond our control.

One person may be the second choice today, but the favorite could fall through, causing the whole cast to change shape! There’s just no way to know.

So everyone should just go about their lives as usual and rack the audition up as a great experience.

If you hear anything, you can make arrangements then. I’ve yet to meet an actor who was unable to change plans, if it was really necessary. 🙂

Hope this helps!

7. lisa/ashley says:

My daughter ashley tried out for the part of Jennifer a couple of weeks ago. Has that part been filled? We went today for the extra casting is she does not get called. Thanks much for getting back to me. Lisa